Dentist | Preventive dental care is very important for patients of all ages. In short, it helps protect your smile from issues like decay, infection, periodontal disease, and tooth loss. Being proactive with your dental health will minimize the need for extensive dental work. Learn why preventive dental care is essential below. Then contact our dentist at Comfort Dental Framingham for more information.
What’s preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry can be defined as the dental care practice that helps an individual maintain good oral health. It’s a combination of regular dental check-ups, brushing, and flossing. Taking care of your teeth doesn’t just start and end in childhood. It goes on throughout the course of your life.
What are the common preventive dentistry services?
It’s important to note that your dental plan will dictate the kind of dentistry services that you receive. But generally, your dentist recommends the following.
- Teeth cleaning
- Regular oral exams, usually twice a year
- And routine dental X-rays
What’s an individual’s role in preventive dental care?
Your dentist will always tell you preventive dental care starts with the person. In other words, you should be proactive with your dental health. And if you have a child, help them develop healthy dental habits early in life. This will help them reduce the chances of gingivitis, gum disease, and cavities. Below are helpful tips you and your family should follow.
- Brush your teeth at least twice every day – in the morning, and in the evening after your meals. Also, make sure the toothbrush that you’re using has soft bristles and the toothpaste has fluoride. If you’re not sure what kind of toothpaste of toothbrush is good for you, consult with the dentist. They’ll also give you pointers on how to effectively brush your teeth.
- Floss daily, preferably before bed. This removes food particles and bacteria from in between teeth.
- After flossing, you’ll need a mouthwash to rinse out all those particles.
- Stay away from acidic and sugary foods, as they tend to erode the tooth enamel.
- Be very cautious while consuming hard foods, especially those with bones, candies, seeds, or pits. They could chip or damage your teeth in other ways.
- Avoid tobacco use as it is linked to dental health issues.
- Protect your teeth during contact sports with a mouthguard.
- Address dental concerns with your dentist right away. It may be an emergency which should be corrected as soon as possible.
What’s preventive dentistry for kids?
Preventive dental care begins when the child’s first tooth emerges or before their first birthday. Parents and guardians are recommended to schedule their child’s first dentist appointment during this time. Preventive dentistry services for children typically include the following.
- Promote good dental habits, including guidance in thumb sucking, flossing, and brushing. You should also advise them on what kind of meals are good for their dental and overall health.
- Take them to the dentist for check-ups at least twice a year. Teeth cleaning and oral exams are instrumental during a child’s development.
- Use fluoride as recommended
- Dental sealants may be recommended to protect their teeth from cavities
- There should be routine x-rays to track their teeth and jaw development
- Make sure they have their mouthguard during contact sports
- If their teeth are not aligned, visit an orthodontist for a consultation.
Benefits of preventive dentistry
- Preventive dental care protects your smile from decay, infection, periodontal disease, and tooth loss.
- It promotes good oral hygiene habits.
- Your dentist offers advice on how to best care for your unique smile.
- Minimizes the need for extensive dental treatments and costs.
Contact Our Dentist Today
Schedule a consultation with our dentist at Comfort Dental Framingham. Our services include general, cosmetic, and pediatric dentistry. New patients are welcome. Call 508-276-6640 or book an appointment online.